I love love love rice pudding! I don’t have it often enough and right now I am not having it at all 😦 I gave up sweets for Lent and rice pudding is a dessert for me. Although, I just read an article about healthy breakfasts and guess what? Rice pudding was one of them! What?! I never even thought to have that for breakfast but I am going to definitely do that one- can’t wait! I had never made it homemade before. My favourite brand is Kozy Shack. I thought I would give it a go and see if I could do a better homemade one. In my opinion, this recipe is the best ever!!! The rice pudding was so delicious and it is now my “go-to”. I will never make another one. Give it a try, you won’t be disappointed!
2 cups cooked Arborio rice
2.5 cups milk, divided
1/3 cup + 1 tsp white sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, beaten
2 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2-1 tsp cinnamon
½ cup raisins (optional)
- In medium saucepan, combine cooked rice, 2 cups milk, sugar and salt.
- Cook over medium heat until thick and creamy, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in remaining 1/2 cup milk, and beaten egg.
- Cook 2 minutes more, stirring constantly.
- Add raisins(if using).
- Remove from heat, and stir in butter and vanilla.
- Serve warm or chilled, sprinkled with nutmeg or cinnamon.
- For yummy bit of underlying flavor, add about 1/4 tsp cinnamon to water when making the rice
- Also great with fresh whipped cream and a cherry, and/or a tsp or 2 of maraschino cherry juice!
- Can also use instant rice instead of Arborio
- Soak raisins in boiling hot water beforehand, to get juicy plump raisins
(adapted from) Source: http://tierneytavern.blogspot.ca/2011/05/rice-pudding.html