Chicken Pot Pie
3-4 chicken, boneless, skinless
1-1 ½ cup frozen veggie mix
1/2 cup sliced celery
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp celery seed
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 packets chicken bovril
1 3/4 cup chicken broth
1 cup milk
2 (9”) unbaked pie crusts (frozen or homemade)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a saucepan, combine chicken, frozen vegetables, and celery. Add water to cover the contents and then boil for 10-15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Remove from heat, drain and set aside.
- Chop chicken into small pieces.
- In the saucepan over medium heat, cook onions in butter until soft and translucent. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, chicken bovril and celery seed. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk.
- Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Add chicken and vegetables to the hot liquid mixture. Taste and season with more salt, pepper, or garlic powder if necessary.
- Pour mixture into bottom pie crust. Cover with top crust, seal edges, and cut away excess dough. Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 30- 35 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. (I like to cover my pie with a piece of tinfoil about 15 minutes into baking so that the top of the pie doesn’t get too brown.
- Cool for 10-20 minutes before serving.
Yields: 1 pie