Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas _________________________________________________________________
I tried these on Friday night and they were not only delish but so easy to make! I will definitely be putting these in my recipe binder. They are very filling so you don’t need a lot to go with them. I paired it with veggie stix and hummus but a salad would work as well. The only thing I changed was adding diced red pepper instead of green chilies. The link for the original recipe is down below.
1 lb chicken breast, diced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
8 (8”) flour tortillas, softened
1 ½ cups cheese (Monterey Jack or Mexican), grated & divided
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
1 (15 ounce) can chicken broth
1 cup sour cream
½ red pepper, chopped fine
- In frypan, cook chicken and onion together in oil over medium-high heat until chicken is just done.
- Divide cooked chicken evenly between 8 tortillas; add 1 1/2 tablespoons cheese to each tortilla.
- Roll enchiladas and place seam-side down in 9×13″ baking dish that has been lightly sprayed with no-stick cooking spray.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan; stir in flour to make a roux; stir and cook until bubbly; gradually whisk in chicken broth then bring to boiling, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat; stir in sour cream and red pepper; pour sauce evenly over enchiladas.
- Top with remaining 3/4 cup cheese (baking dish may be double-wrapped and frozen at this point) and bake at 400°F for 20 minutes until cheese is melted and sauce near edges of baking dish is bubbly.
Yields: 8 Servings