Quinoa WOWBUTTER Chocolate Chip Muffins
Dairy Free – Nut Free
I made these muffins when I was trying out a new quinoa recipe. I knew I would have leftover quinoa so I thought this was a perfect opportunity to use up the leftovers. They are dairy-free and nut-free as I used WOWBUTTER instead of peanut butter. I was pleasantly surprised how good they were and couldn’t really tell there was quinoa in them. They were really good the first day but didn’t stay fresh too long so I advise to eat them up quickly. They are perfect for snack time!
1/4 cup quinoa
2/3 cup white wheat flour
2/3 cup white flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup wowbutter
1/4 cup unsalted margarine cut into small chunks (dairy free)
1 egg yolk, room temp
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
2/3 cup dairy-free milk
1/2 cup chocolate chips dairy-free
2 egg whites, room temp
- Fill medium saucepan with water and bring to boil on high heat. Add quinoa, reduce heat, simmer until grains have popped open and appear translucent (about 12 minutes). Drain grains in mesh strainer and rinse with cold water.
- Heat oven to 400. Grease muffin tin.
- In medium bowl, whisk flours, baking powder, and salt.
- In large bowl with mixer on medium speed, beat together brown sugar, wowbutter, and margarine until smooth and creamy (5 minutes). Beat in the egg yolk and vanilla until smooth, then beat in quinoa. Reduce mixer speed to low and beat in milk.
- With rubber spatula, fold flour mixture into wet ingredients. Fold in chocolate chips.
- In a clean, large bowl with mixer set on high speed and dry, clean betwers, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form (1 minutes). Use spatula to gently fold the egg whites into the batter.
- Spoon each well of the muffin tin three-quarters full with batter.
- Bake the muffins until they’re brown and firm, about 20 minutes. Turn the pan halfway through. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to rack to completely cool.
- Place muffins on cookie sheet to flash freeze
- Store frozen muffins in a freezer bag for up to 4 months
- Defrost over night at room temperature
- Bake again at 300 for 20 minutes or heat in microwave for 60 seconds.