Chocolate Mud Muffins
Egg Free & Dairy Free
We love reading here. We go through so many books. One we read quite often is the “If You Give A Moose A Muffin“. We actually have the treasury and have read them all. They are fun and they have songs and recipes included in each one. My girl wanted to try the “Chocolate Mud Muffins” one day. Since, my baby is now on an no dairy-no egg diet, I thought I would improvise a bit. I substituted the buttermilk for coconut milk and used safe chocolate chips. They turned out awesome! They were so good. As you can see from the picture, I made muffins and some mini donuts. Fun Fun!
2 cups flour
1 1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup cocoa
1 tsp cinnamon
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cup buttermilk (I used coconut milk)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla
Moose Treats – Choose 1 or more of these to total one cup:
– chocolate chips
– chocolate-covered peanuts
– chocolate-covered peanut butter pieces
- Turn on oven to 400 degrees F. Make sure rack is in center of oven. Generously spray or grease muffin cups and the top of a tin.
- In a large bowl, with a fork or whisk, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. In a medium bowl, mix buttermilk, oil, and vanilla. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture, then stir just until combined. In 2 or 3 strokes stir in moose treats. (Optional: hold back about 1/4 cup of moose treats to sprinkle on top)
- Divide the “mud” equally among muffin cups, then sprinkle the remaining treats on top, if you wish. (You can taste the batter – no eggs!) Bake about 25-30 minutes or until the tops are very well cooked.
Yields: 12 muffins